- Every iteration of the Freeshell gets us closer and closer to a perfect state of disappearance. The goal of the Freeshell is effortlessness, it’s easy to wear, easy to adjust, easy to pack, easy to carry. A jacket you can forget you have with you, but performs effortlessly when you need it to.
This fifth iteration is marked by three key points of refinement.
Point one is the wrist. We’ve been pushing along with a hunch that we could use shock cord to make an effortless one hand sleeve opening adjustment system for a long time. With this iteration we scrapped every aspect of the previous system except the shock cord itself. The new adjust uses a simple slider and a fully parallel shock cord setup to create a far smoother and more intuitive action.
Point two is the pack and carry system. We added two back vent zips that allow the jacket to pack into the back pocket far more cleanly. We also upgraded that inside back pocket, using the same Ultralight Doubleweave as the body of the jacket. Not only does this make for a cleaner visual, but it also has a four-way stretch, allowing the pocket to hold more if you need it to. We widened the sling strap for better weight distribution, then for adjustment we added the same custom aluminum ladder lock used in our Ultrahigh Duffle. To top it off, the strap unclips completely, allowing it do double as a compression strap.
Point three is the fabric, and honestly, it’s more of a revelation than an iteration. What we realized was that the “Ultralight” Freeshell we built for summer use was actually better for year round use than any other fabric we’d used. It protects you from the sun in the hot, from light rain and wind as it cools, and is a fantastic upgrade to any breathable insulation layer. It’s not fully waterproof or windproof, but it cuts enough wind out to multiply the warmth of any breathable insulation while leaving enough air permeability and breathability to ensure you stay super comfortable even as you exert yourself.
We decided to simply name it the Freeshell for a few reasons. For one, the Ultralight Doubleweave fabric that it’s made with isn’t really that “ultralight” in a jacket context (it was named as a pants fabric where it really is ultralight). And two, it’s just so good in the freeshell context, why bother with anything else.
Ultralight Cloth is soft and flexible with an elegant drape. Durable for its weight (145gsm) and rated UPF 50+, it's meant to handle the summer with ease.
The Ultralight Cloth is a yarn-dyed doublewoven intimate blend of various nylons. The micro-nylon fibers create a soft loose inner weave that helps pull moisture from the skin, while slightly thicker nylon is tightly woven on the outside to give it a degree of water resistance. The self-cleaning NanoSphere® treatment adds in some wine, beer and iced coffee resistance. A four-way stretch means you'll move with a breezy freedom all across a beautiful summer.
We wanted to see how this fabric handles sunlight, specifically UV radiation, so we sent it out for testing. The results show that a single layer of Ultralight Cloth blocks the transmittance of over 99% of UV radiation, giving the Ultralight Cloth an Ultraviolet Protection Factor of 50+, the highest rating possible.
- Made with Ultralight Doubleweave: with self-cleaning Schoeller NanoSphere® treatment
- 21% Nylon (micro), 73% Nylon, 6% Elastane
- Lightweight doubleweave: 145gsm
- Rated UPF 50+
- Four-way stretch
- Three piece hood engineered for full visibility
- Back neck hang loop
- Ladder lock hood adjustment system
- Articulated two piece raglan sleeve
- High neck zip for coverage
- Ultrasuede pull tab on zip
- Discreet front pockets
- Two inside mesh pockets
- Large rear pocket made of Ultralight Doubleweave
- Rear back vent zips
- Jacket packs into itself, transforming into a bag with an integrated adjustable strap with custom aluminum hardware
- Strap is fully removable and doubles as a compression strap
- Shock cord adjustable cuffs
- Machine wash warm, hang or lay flat to dry (do not use fabric softener).
- Made in New York City with Swiss fabrics
Fits true to size.
Please refer to the table below for garment's exact measurements.
Garment measurements in inches, measured flat
Size XS S M L XL Length high shoulder to bottom 25.75 26.25 26.75 27.25 27.75 Chest 1" below armhole 19.25 20.25 21.25 22.25 23.25 Sleeve length center back to cuff 34.25 34.75 35.25 35.75 36.25Body measurements in inches Size XS S M L XL Chest 34 36 38 40 42